Monday, August 3, 2009

Finding Your Niche in a Big, Bad World

I'm a member of World Wide Brands, the only company I know of that provides access to legitimate, fully reviewed dropship and wholesale companies. If that sounds like a plug for them, that's fine. They deserve it.

They've taught me a lot about niche research and marketing through their product sourcing tool, video tutorials and e-Books. What astounds me is that there are so many other people who are members of WWB who seem to completely ignore every piece of valuable information inside the site. I call these guys "Mega-Mallers." The Mega-Maller thinks bigger is better. He's going to sell crystal figurines and pool tables. Scuba equipment and coffee makers. Heart monitors and skateboard ramps. All in one super collosal, totally awesome internet superstore.

Bad idea. Eventually the Mega-Maller will realize that his store is impossible to market. He has too many products. SEO is an absolute nightmare. His bounce rate is 95% because his products and navigation are an unfocused mess. Mega-Maller did not do his homework.

If you want to operate a successful eBiz, find your niche. I confess - my first shot at online retail was an eBay store that sold "sporting goods." Sporting goods is not a niche. "Antique golf clubs" is a niche. "Unicycles" is a niche. Get specific. Life's too short to take on Wal-Mart.

Some camps say it doesn't matter what you sell. Do your research. Test the keywords. Determine your profit potential. The market is the market. Emotion is meaningless. You don't have to like what you sell, you just have to like money.

I disagree with that approach. Successful niche retailers generally become experts on the products they sell. They need to write compelling content about their products. Reviews and articles to direct traffic to their site. Blogs. They twitter. "Cloth Adult Diapers" might be a great, profitable niche, but...I'm going to take a pass on that one.

I've always been captivated by ancient cultures and dinosaurs. As a kid I imagined I'd someday grab Indiana Jones trusty Fedora, jacket and whip and travel to exotic countries on important archaeological expeditions. Instead, I opened Your Museum Store.

I'd say don't let emotion rule the day, but if possible turn one of your passions or interests into your niche. This is the basis of your business. Why not be in love with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment